There is no website nowadays existing without the help of social media icons, and many people know that. From business cards to posters, everything can have benefits from the icon set. However, did you know that although the icons can be found almost everywhere in various colors, shapes, and sizes, they are actually registered trademarks? This means laws of patent protect them.
Where to Download Legal Social Media Icons
We have summarized several links to download the legal social media icons and also how to use them appropriately online.
You can download the icons you need in Twitter Brand Toolkit and follow the guidelines below to use the icons properly.
- Use only the white or blue Twitter icon. You are allowed to use the Twitter logo in black only when the print colors are limited.
- Twitter would like its icon to be placed without a container, but if you must use one, you are allowed to use a circular, square, and rounded square container.
- Choose the white version of the logo if you use it on top of an image.
- The logo must not be animated and/or decorated with text bubbles or any other embellishments.
- The empty space surrounding the logo is suggested to be at minimum 150% wider than the icon.
- The icons should be at least 32 pixels wide.
Do you need to use Facebook icons in your design? No worries, download them legally on the Logo section in the Facebook app. Below are the instructions regarding the proper use of the Facebook logo and icon.
- Use the Facebook icon in blue or white in a blue container. Opt for white and black if there is color restriction. The downloadable versions are in blue, white, grey, and black.
- The icon has to always be represented in a rounded container.
- Reproduce the icon in a readable size and make it in the exact same size as the other icons.
- Never animate the icon/logo, depict it in any physical forms, and/or embellish both the icon and the container.
- Download the Facebook icons based on the medium you use—whether they are for use online or on prints, TV, and movies.
Using the Instagram logo/icon is permissible if you download it legally on its Brand Overview section. Also, follow the instructions below on using the social media icons in your design or any other media.
- You can only use the legal Instagram icon downloaded from the official site of its Brand Overview. The icons are downloadable in monochrome (black and white) and color.
- Instagram icons must be displayed with no containers at all.
- Do not combine the icons with your brand, trademark, or any symbols or languages.
- For the use in radio announcements or any broadcasts, advertisements, and any prints in sizes above 8.5 x 11 inches, you have to get official approval from Instagram and include an example of how you require to use the icon.
You can visit its Brand Resources for valid YouTube media icons and download them free of charge. The followings are some guidelines you need to apply when you use the official YouTube logo/icon.
- The icon is downloadable in red, almost black, and/or white.
- If the image or color you use as the background does not match the red icon, opt for the monochromatic icon (all in almost black or white).
- The icons are suggested to be at least 3.1mm (0.125 inches) in print and 24 dp high online.
- The empty/white space around the icon should be 50% of the icon’s width.
- You can only use the icon as a link to a YouTube channel.
How to Effectively Use Social Media Icons
It is for sure that social media icons are commonly used to link to your brand’s or company’s social network accounts. Do the tips as follows to use the icons effectively.
- Place the icons on your blog or website’s upper right or left sidebar to be way more visible to your audience.
- Add your downloaded icons on an email signature and/or in the footer of a newsletter.
- For prints, placing icons does not really work effectively as it cannot hyperlink on paper. Therefore, try to place only your website’s domain name and the complete link to your social media pages.
Now that you know some info regarding the legal social media icons. Remember that you can also download a large variety of quality icons at Aqr Studio. Get them now for a fantastic look at your design!